No (pronounced noh): adverb, adjective, noun, plural noes, nos, verb
1. (a negative used to express dissent, denial, or refusal, as in response to a question or request)
2. (used to emphasize or introduce a negative statement): Not a single person came to the party, no, not a one.
3. not in any degree or manner; not at all (used with a comparative): He is no better.
4. not a (used before an adjective to convey the opposite of the adjective’s meaning): His recovery was no small miracle.
5. not a (used before a noun to convey the opposite of the noun’s meaning): She’s no beginner on the ski slopes.
6. an utterance of the word “no.”
7. a denial or refusal: He responded with a definite no.
8. a negative vote or voter: The noes have it.
verb (used with object)
9. to reject, refuse approval, or express disapproval of.
verb (used without object)
10. to express disapproval.
11. no can do, Informal . it can’t be done.
* * *
No (pronounced noh)
1. a lie one tells when one is terrified one’s answer is “yes”
2. a lie one tells when one feels a “yes” may cause one to dig one’s grave deeper into the ground
3. a lie